The first time I tried Vietnamese Chicken Wing is in a small Viet Café a long Beach Road, Singapore. The café is opened by a Vietnamese lady. This one of my favourite Viet café in Singapore. Almost all the dishes there are very authentic and tasty.
The wings are very flavourful – intensely sweet, salty, umami but not overpowering. Super delicious. l tried to replicate this at home and it’s a total success!
Personally, l do not like to fry my food at home. I used air-fryer instead to fry the wings. Feel free to fry it with oil.
To create this intensely flavoured wings, you need to marinate the wings in a fish-sauce brine. Do Not Marinate more than 12 hours, If not it might be overly salty. Minimum of 4 hours and maximum of 12 hours!
- 12 pcs Mid Joint (Abt 500 g)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 40 ml Water
- 50 ml Fish Sauce
- 60 g Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Garlic
- 8 tablespoons Sweet Potato Flour
- 1 tsp Chili Powder (optional)
- 4 tablespoon oil
- ½ portion of the blended marinade sauce (about 60 ml)
- 30 ml of Water
- Any Greens
- Pink Peppercorn
- Add all the ingredients for the marinade , except the wings, in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Reserve half of the blended Sauce for making the Sweet sauce to coat the wings (about 60ml)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the wings and the remaining marinade together.
- Mix well and transfer to a zip lock bag.
- Chill in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours and a maximum of 12 hours.
- Preheat the Air fryer @ 200 degree Celsius
- Remove the wings from the bag and pat dry with Kitchen tissue
- In a plate, combine sweet potato flour and chili powder. Mix Well.
- Coat the wings evenly With the sweet potato mixture
- Brush the wings with oil, and air-fry the wings in batches at 200 degree Celsius for 10 mins or until golden brown (or fry in oil).
- Remove the ready wings from the fryer and set aside
- Heat the reserved sauce and water in a saucepan over medium heat (Abt 30 sec)
- Until the sauce is reduced by half, add in the fried Wings
- Toss the wings in the sauce and ensure the Wings are well coated with the sauce.
- Transfer the wings to a serving plate and sprinkle some pink peppercorn and accompanied with some greens.