One of my favourite dish that I must order whenever it is on the menu. Spicy, slightly vinegrette with juicy meat and prawn. So appetizing and satisfying.
This dish taste even better with CP Jumbo Shrimp Wanton where the prawn in each dumpling is so fat and succulent.
I made my own chilli oil and added my own twist to it. Beside the usual chilli powder and sze chuan powder, i added bacon and shallot to give the chili oil an extra bite and oomph.
Step by step Pictorial Guide
Heat the oil in medium high heat
Lower to medium heat and add in chopped shallot and bacon.
Saute until the shallot and bacon turn slightly brown. Add it chopped garlic and continue to saute for another min.
Lower to the lowest heat then add in chilli powder and sze chuan peppercorn powder.
Stir in and remove it from fire. Allow it to cool before storing it in air tight container. Able to store in fridge for about 1 month.
Cook the wanton as per the packaging instructions
While the wanton is cooking, mix all the seasoning required for the Spicy Sze Chuan Chili Wanton in a bowl.
Drained the cooked wanton from the boiling water and transfer to the bowl with seasoning. Top with more chilli oil (if prefer) and garnish with chopped corrianders or spring onions.
- 150ml Oil
- 80g bacon (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons shallot (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Sze Chuan Peppercorn powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Zhe Jiang Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sze Chuan Chill Oil (from above) or adjust base on personal preference
- 1 packet CP Jumbo Shrimp Wanton (8 pieces)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan under medium high heat
- Add in chopped shallot and bacon; lower to medium heat
- Saute until shallot and bacon start to turn slightly brown,
- add in chopped garlic and saute for another min until garlic starts to turn slightly brown
- Turn to lowest heat
- Add in chilli powder and sze chuan pepper corn powder.
- Stir in until well combined and remove from the heat
- As per packaging instructions
- While cooking the wanton, mix in all the seasoning required
- When wanton is cooked, remove from the pot and drained off any excess watwe
- Transfer the wanton into the seasoning and ensure the wanton is thoroughly coated with the seasoning
- Top with more chilli oil if prefer and garnish with chopped corriander leaves or spring onions