We each have a love affair with Wings. And this is definitely one of our Singaporean’s favourite – Hawker Style BBQ Chicken Wings.
Ultra-flavourful Soy Marinated Wings, grill over charcoal until perfectly charred. Squeezed lime juice over the glistering charred wings and dipped with Sambal Chili Sauce. A dish worth putting on weight for.
This dish can also be easily achieve in your kitchen – cook it in oven, or even air fryer. You will get the taste of Singapore on your own dining table. You can even marinate this in advance for your bbq party and cook it over charcoal bbq pit.
Ingredients for the marinade is rather simple
Blend the shallot, ginger, garlic together with sesame oil into paste
Then add the remaining seasoning into the pat-dried chicken wings together with the blended paste.
Mix well and marinate for at least 4 hours or best overnight, in chiller
For oven grilling, 30 minutes before grilling the wings, set the oven mode to grilling with fan and preheat the oven at 200 degree celsius. For those oven without the above mode, baking time will be longer and the wings might not be as charred as in the pic. Do monitor and grill the chicken until cooked and brown at least.
For Air Fryer user, preheat the air fryer 5 mins before grilling at 180 degree celsius.
Remove the marinated wings from the fridge and put the wings into skewers. This step is optional, just that i would like it to be more Hawker Style looking wings 😛
Put the wings onto a baking tray and brushed the wings with the leftover marinade before grilling
Grill these lovely wings in the oven for 15 mins and in air fryer for 10 mins
For the chili dip, just add 1 tablespoon of hot water to every spoon of balachan chili.
I used this balachan chili from NTUC
When the aroma of the wings waft through your nose, you know the wings are almost ready to be serve!
Here’s a Step by Step Video on How to Make Singapore Hawker-Style Chicken Wings
- 25g Shallot
- 2 tablespoon Chopped Garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 10g Ginger
- 2 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 teaspoons Caramelised Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- ½ teaspoon Chili Flakes (optional)
- ½ teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- ½ teaspooon Salt
- 10 pcs Chicken Wings (Wings plus Drumlette) - about 1 kg (Pat dry with kitchen tissue)
- 1 tablespoon balachan chili
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- Blend all the ingredients in the blender into paste
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the seasoning, ginger-garlic paste into pat-dry wings
- Mix well and cover with cling wrap
- Marinate for at least 4 hours or best overnight, in the fridge
- Preheat the oven @ grilling + fan mode at 200 degree celsius for 30 mins or air fryer @ 180 degree celsius for 5 mins
- Skewer the wings (optional)
- Transfer the wings into a grilling/ baking tray and brush the wings wiith the remaining marinade
- Grill it in the oven for 15 mins or in airfryer for 10 minutes
- Serve it with sliced lime and sambal chili mix
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of balachan chili with 1 tablespoon of hot water