This carrot cake is soooo easy – 5 mins preparation, 15 mins boiling and 15 mins steaming, plus it’s just so yummy!
It’s creamy smooth, soft and so tummy-warming. Topped with scallopy XO sauce and sesame infused savoury-sweet black sauce, it really enhance the sweetness of the white radish and the Umami-rich rice flour mixture! Yummz
This carrot cake is a replication of one of the famous dim sum stall in Singapore – Victor’s Kitchen. It used to be my favourite dim sum place. But I have not been going there for a while cause I seldom travel to town and they close at 8 pm. That’s like really early for an eatery.
So happen that my friend was having lunch at Victor’s so I immediately get her to tapao (pack) for me. However… hai.. to cut the story short.. I didn’t manage to eat it and the carrot cake kept dancing on my mind for the whole night. So I decided to replicate it in my kitchen.
Instead of the usual chicken stock, I used this scallop infused chicken stock from swanson.
Feel free to use any chicken stock u can find. Just that this stock will add morescallopy sweetness to the steamed carrot cake – enhancing the umami taste of the carrot cake.
I added sausage and dried shrimp for a very Hong Kong style flavor. You can use either Chinese sausage or Taiwanese sausage.
Pan fried the sausage and dried shrimps to bring out the flavour.
Do not shred the radish as shredding will result in lost of juice during the process. Just slice in thinly and then cut into think match stick. This will also ensure that you will have bites of radish when eating.
Boil the radish in the stock and water for about 15 mins or until the radish become translucent. When the radish is done, remove the radish from the pot of stock. *do not throw away the precious stock*
Pour the stock into a measuring cup. There will be loss of water during the process due to evaporation. If the stock is lesser than 250 ml, just top up with additional water.
Add the stock and radish to the fried sausages and shrimps. Slowly add in the flour and stir until well combine. It should be sticky.
Divide the mixture into 2 separate bowls and steam over high heat for 15 mins.
Remember to tie a steaming cloth or any clean cloth at the lid. This is to prevent any water from dripping into the bowl of yummy carrot cake. Alternatively, you can cling wrap the bowl of carrot cake mixture and this will also prevent water from dripping into the bowl. *this is very important as excess water will affect the texture and taste of the carrot cake.
When the carrot cake is ready, remove from the steamer, top with XO sauce and drizzled the black sauce over the carrot cake. Lastly, garnish with some spring onions or parsley.
The recipe can be easily multiply for bigger portion. You can also make more to freeze and heat it up when hungry! Store sauce and carrot cake separately.
*this recipe is purely for steamed carrot cake. Should you want to use the carrot cake for pan frying purpose, the amount of water need to be reduced by 60 ml and the carrot cake will need to be chilled in the fridge to harden so it can be sliced.
- 125g White Radish (Cut into thin matchsticks)
- 100ml Superior Chicken Broth/ Scallop Chicken Broth
- 150ml Water
- 40g Rice Flour
- 5g Tapioca Flour
- ¼ Teaspoon Sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Shrimps (Chopped) - about 5 g
- 20g Chinese/ Taiwanese Sausage (Diced)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Sugar
- 50ml Hot Water
- 1 tablespoon of XO Sauce
- Chopped Spring Onions/ Parsley
- Add in the radish, chicken broth, water, sugar, pepper and salt into a saucepan and boil over high heat.
- When boil, reduce to medium heat and continue to cook the radish until translucent (about 10 to 15 mins)
- Remove the radish from the stock.
- Pour the stock into a measuring cup. If the stock does not hit 250ml, add more water until it reaches 250 ml.
- Set aside for later use.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in pan over medium heat.
- Add in the diced sausages and chopped dried shrimps and saute until frangrant
- Turn off the fire and add in the reserved radish stock and radish
- Stir and then add in the rice flour and tapioca flour.
- Continue to stir and mix until well combined. If the mixture did not become gooey or sticky, the mixture might not be hot enough. Heat the mixture over medium low fire until it start to get a bit gooey (abt 10 sec). Turn off the fire immediately and continue to stir until it become sticky.
- Separate the carrot cake mixture into 2 separate bowls and smooth out the mixture.
- Prepare a steamer and steam the carrot cake mixture under medium high heat for 15 mins.
- *Do increase the steaming time if you are steaming in bigger quantity
- Remove the bowl of carrot cake from the steamer.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Stir and set aside for later use
- Top with ½ tablespoon of XO sauce for each bowl and drizzled 2 to 3 tablespoons of Sesame infused Sauce over the steamed carrot cake (add more sauce if required)
- Garnish with chopped spring onions/ parsley and serve hot.