Simple yet yummy!
The cost of 1 packet of chilled crabstick cost about $2.50. However, during CNY, a small tub of ready-fried ones can be found at $8 to $15 per bottle. Now, you can just make it at the comfort of your own kitchen.
To makes these addictive strips, you only need packet of crabstick.
I used Dodo Crabstick from the chiller section.
The most difficult part in making this crabstick strips is to tear them into thin strips. I like to tear it into thin trips of approx. 3 to 5 mm in width
After tearing, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with coarsely ground Black Pepper. Add truffle oil for truffle flavour, chilli powder for spicy ones or just eat it as it is for their most original flavour.
I used the grill pan for air frying the crabstick. However, I would suggest you to use the basket instead as the grill pan do not have depth to hold the crabsticks while frying and some of the crabsticks might “fly” underneath the grill pan.
Do not overcrowd the pan. Divide the recipe to air fry into 3 to 4 batches.
To ensure crispiness in the tub, ensure all the crab sticks are thorougly air fried. Should there be overlaying pieces and not thorougly crisp, return it to the air fryer and air fried until crispy.
Allow it to cool thoroughly before storing in air tight container.
Feel free to leave out the truffle oil for original flavour or sprinkle with chili powder for the fiery ones
- 250g crabsticks (1 packet)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Truffle oil (optional)
- Preheat the air fryer at 180 degree Celsius
- Shred the crabstick into strips of about 3mm to 5mm in width per strip
- Drizzle a tablespoon of oil and ½ teaspoon black pepper over the crabstick and ensure all the shredded crabstick are evenly coated with oil
- Divide the crabstick into 3 to 4 batches for air frying
- Layer the 1st batch of crabstick into the frying basket
- Air fry for 8 mins at 180 degree Celsius or until golden brown (Pull out the basket and shake halfway during frying (or use a tong to "stir") so that any overlay bits will be air fried too)
- Continue with the remaining batches until all the crabstick are fried
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of truffle oil and shake until the crabsticks are even coated with truffle oil (optional)
- Cool and store in airtight container