Creamy Broth with elegant flavour and a dash of rice vinegar adds a refreshing accents to the sweet white miso.
It is a soup base from Kyoto and it tastes very different from the usual miso we have tasted. This soup base goes very well with the usual hotpot ingredients with a more appetising taste. Do prepare to eat more than usual
It is very easy and fast to prepare this soup base. Just throw in all the ingredients required for the soup base and let it boil. And you will have a nice pot of Kyoto style miso soup base.
You can get the sweet white miso from any Japanese Supermarket. The one we used is this brand from Isetan
or you can use any sweet white miso you can find. Another one we found is this (Pic below; top right), also from Isetan
This recipe also called for sesame sauce which we used the one on the left from the pic above.
As for Dashi powder, you can use the individual packed one or you can just get the ones in bottle
- 4 litres of water
- 5 teaspoons of rice vinegar
- 8 tablespoons of sesame sauce
- 20 tablespoons of sweet white miso paste
- 2 teaspoons of Dashi powder
- Add all the ingredients into a large stock pot and boil over medium heat (pot to be able to hold at least 5 litres of water)
- Serve as hotpot soup base