Who says fish head steamboat needs a lot of preparation and long time of boiling to bring out the deep flavour of the fish bones? Here is a shortcut recipe and it just taste as good or even better than some of the fish head steamboat you had ~ Less the bones and its kid friendly.
The secret to this umami-packed is………. grounded sole fish powder (or mermaid fish powder)
- 40g dried sole fish or dried mermaid fish (grind into powder
- 20g sliced ginger
- 60g unsalted butter
- 4 litres of water
- 160 ml evaporated milk (optional)
- 8 teaspoon salt (depends on individual preference)
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat (pot to be able to hold at least 5 litres of water)
- Melt the butter in heated pot
- Add the grounded fish powder and sliced ginger, stir fry until fragrance.
- Add 4 litres of water and let it boil
- Add in evaporated milk(optional) and salt, stir and the soup base is ready!
- You can add seaweed and yam into the soup base and serve together as hotpot soup base.