Yeah! Taiwan I’m Coming!! I will be going to Taiwan in Dec and was browsing my Honeymoon photos to see where should I revisit again. Why everything looks so yummy??!! This time I will only be going for 4 days. How can I finish all the food on the must eat list? 🙁
This Salted Pork Belly Rice is a simple yet yummy dish I had tried during the previous trip. It was so nice that we went there twice during our last trip. So… I decided to recreate this dish at home.
It’s really simple. However, you would need to prepare this dish in advance. Marinating the pork belly requires minimum of 3 days and marinating of egg requires at least 1 day in advance.
Salted Pork Belly is very similar to sio bak, but more favourful. Its quite salty, well its salty pork belly mah, so you have to slice it thinly and eat with the rice. The Taiwan Version do not require you to poke the skin of the pork belly. But I would prefer to poke the skin of the pork belly to create a more crispy version.
Although my recipe is an air fryer recipe, for those without air fryer, feel free to use oven. Preheat the oven to 250 degree Celsius and grill the pork belly for about 20 mins or until golden brown.
Marinate the soy sauce eggs at least 1 day in advance. The timing for the lava egg is based on egg chill from the fridge and the size of the egg is about 55g per egg. Room temperature egg of similar weight will be 5 mins 20 sec. Size and temperature of the eggs greatly affect the timing of cooking. Increase or decrease accordingly. Experiment with 1 egg first. Start to cook the rest only when you get it right. Very fresh eggs are harder to peel. It will be better to use a 1 to 2 days old eggs. You can also substitute the soy sauce eggs with an hard boil egg or sunny side up.
- 350g Pork Belly (As fatty as possible)
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- 40ml rice wine
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon five spice powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon prune powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 200g Cabbage (cut into bite size pieces)
- 60g Carrot (cut into matchstick size)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 4 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 pieces chill medium size eggs (about 55g per piece; from refrigerator)
- 240 ml water
- 120 ml Japanese Soy Sauce
- 240 ml Sake
- 60 ml Mirin
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 Portions of ready cooked rice
- Clean the Pork Belly and pat dry with kitchen tissue
- Poke the skin of the pork belly with meat pricker or needle. Poke as many hole as possible
- In a large mixing bowl, add the pork belly and all the other ingredients for marinating the pork.
- Mix well and cover with plastic wrap
- Chill it in the fridge for at least 3 days, maximum 5 days
- At least 6 hours before meal (or overnight), remove the pork belly from the fridge and wash off the marinade from the pork belly.
- Pat dry with kitchen tissue and place it on a plate, uncover; and leave it in the chiller to dry.
- Add all the ingredients for the marinade into a saucepan and heat over medium fire.
- Remove the saucepan from the fire when boil and pour the marinade into an airtight container after cool. Set aside
- Use a push pin or any egg pin to gently puncture a small hole on the bottom of each egg
- Fill a saucepan with water (must be enough to cover the eggs) and bring it to boil under high heat.
- Reduce to medium heat (still boiling) and gently put the eggs into the sauce pan
- Cook for 5 mins 30 sec
- Remove from the boiling water and shock the egg in cold water to prevent further cooking.
- When the eggs are cool, peel them and add into a container with the soy sauce marinade
- Chill it in the fridge for at least 12 hours
- Preheat the air fryer at 200 degree Celsius for 5 minutes
- Add in the marinated pork belly and air fry for 15 minutes
- *For non air fryer user; preheat the oven at 250 degree Celsius and grill for 20 mins or until golden brown.
- Remove from the air fryer and slice thinly
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan
- Add garlic and stir fry until fragrance
- Add in carrot and stir fry for 1 minute
- Add in cabbage and water, cover with lid for 1 minute (open lid halfway, stir fry and cover)
- Add in salt and pepper, stir fry for another 30 sec;
- Divide the cooked rice into 4 bowls
- Add sliced pork belly, soy sauce egg and cabbage onto the rice
- Serve hot