This dish really goes well with Rice! 很好下饭哦！也很好下酒！Goes very well with beer too!
Three-Cup Chicken (三杯鸡) is a very popular traditional Chinese dish. Traditionally, this dish is cooked with 1 Cup Soy Sauce, 1 Cup Rice Wine and 1 Cup Sesame Oil (ratio is 1:1:1). That’s how the name 3-Cup Chicken came by. However, I did not use the traditional ratio and modify a bit to suit to my personal taste.
My hubby requested for more sauce.. haha as usual. However, I did not go along with his request. 3 Cup chicken are not meant to be saucy. It meant to be sticky to ensure the richness of the sauce burst in your mouth from the very first bite.
Beside chicken, you can substitute with pork liver, pork belly or other meats.
I choose to air fry the chicken first to seal the juice of the chicken and also to give a different texture to the dish.
You can omit this step or if you do not have air fryer, simply fry it in oil or oven bake it.
This is really a very easy dish to make.
- 10 pieces mid joint wings (chopped into half - optional) or 350g Chicken Thigh (Cubes)
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (Optional)
- 12 Cloves Garlic (skin off)
- Marinated Chickens
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Potato Starch
- 3 tablespoons Rice Wine
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 15g Ginger (Slice thinly)
- 15g Sweet Basil
- 1 big Red Chilli (Seeds remove and thinly slice) - optional
- ½ tablespoon Rice Wine
- ½ tablespoon Sesame Oil
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the chicken and ingredients for the marinade.
- Mix until combine and chill in the fridge for at least an hour
- Preheat the air fryer @ 200 degree Celsius
- Add in the sweet potato starch to the marinated chicken and mix well
- Evenly distribute the chicken in the air fryer and fry for 10 minutes
- While Air Frying the chicken, prepare the sauce
- In a small mixing bowl, add in the sauces and set aside for stir frying the chicken
- Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a Claypot or deep saucepan over medium low
- When the oil is heated, add in the ginger and fry until golden brown - about 5 mins
- Add in the basil leaves, red chilli and fry for 1 min.
- Add in THE SAUCE and allow it to boil
- Add in the air fried chicken and stir fry until all the chicken are evenly coated with the sauce
- Remove the pot of chicken from the fire, add in the finishing glaze (1/2 tablespoon Sesame oil & ½ tablespoon Rice wine)
- Serve hot with rice