Salted egg yolks dishes are now in trend. Almost any dish with salted egg yolks will be very well received and highly sought for. There’s a lot eateries and cafes adding salted egg yolk to their dishes, winning tons of positive comments and attentions. There are salted egg fries, salted egg waffles, salted egg cupcakes and recently, there’s also salted egg fried carrot cake on the list. The list goes on and on and I believe it will continue to get longer. This combination of sweet and salty is really prefect.
Personally, I really love the combination of sweet and salty. I even tried introducing truffle salt to my chocolate ice cream and trust me, the chocolate shines with the addition of the salt.
Although there are alot of salted egg dishes around, it’s still not easy to find Salted Egg Lava Cake. And I remember the famous one is not anywhere near me. Haha, so why not make it so I can have it anytime. Moreover it’s very easy.
It’s almost the same steps as the molten lava cake recipe I posted earlier, just that instead of stuffing chocolate truffle, stuffed in the solidified salted egg yolk fillings.
The timing of the baking is based on the ramekins I got from Phoon Huat. If the size of your ramekins is bigger or smaller, please adjust the timing accordingly. The cake is done when the top part is set.
Also, there is a difference in chocolate chips and chocolate couverture. You will not get the right thickness and texture from chocolate chips. Chocolate couverture can be found in Phoon Huat or any bakery supplies shop.
Trust me, this dessert will sure wow your guests big time! The fragrance and saltiness of the preserved salted egg yolk together with the creaminess of the flowy lava chocolate just lingers in their mouth after the first bite and omg! They just can’t stop and keep wanting for more!
- Lava Cake Batter
- 100g dark chocolate couverture
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g cream
- 100g egg
- 50g egg yolk
- 30g sugar
- 40g cake flour (sifted)
- 4 salted egg yolks (steamed and mashed)
- 30g sugar
- 20g milk powder
- 20g plain flour
- 50g softened salted butter
- Melted Butter
- Sugar or Cocoa Powder
- Add all the ingredients for the salted egg yolk fillings into electric mixer and beat the mixture until well combine
- Pour the salted egg yolk mixture into a mould, smaller than the ramekins
- Chill until harden, at least 4 hours
- Preheat the oven at 210 degree celsius
- Melt the chocolates, cream and butter in a mixing bowl and heat over simmering pot of water. Remove the bowl of chocolate mixture from heat and put aside
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and sugar
- Combine the chocolate mixture and egg mixture together, then add in the sifted flour until just combine. Do not mix for too long.
- Brush the ramekins with melted butter then coat with sugar/cocoa powder. Tap out any excess.
- Pour the chocolate cake batter into the ramekins until ¾ full.
- Stuff the salted egg yolk fillings into the center of the batter. Ensure the filling is covered with batter
- Bake the cake for about 10 to 12 mins, or until the tops are just set.
- Run a thin knife around the ramekins to loosen the cakes
- Invert the ramekins onto 4 individual serving plates, then lift and remove the ramekins.
- Spoon 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream or ice cream of your choice and top with some berries.
- Serve hot!
Please note that oven temperature varies with different ovens, given baking time might varies
Baking time Will also varies based on size of ramekins used. Baking time given is based on standard ramekin size. Longer time is bigger ramekins are used and shorter time if smaller ones are used