When I was in Taipei, Taiwan, although with tons of snacks and street food to select from, my favourite will still be the edamame from the famous 老天禄 located at Xi Men Ding.
老天禄 is actually famous for the braised items and the queue are pretty long. This stall is also Andy Lau’s must go stall whenever he is in Taiwan for their duck tongue. I didn’t really like their duck tongue but since I was in Xi Men Ding, I must get something from this stall. I picked a few items and edamame was one of them. The moment the edamame hit my tongue, I knew that’s it. Without fail, I returned to Xi Men Ding every night just to get this edamame. Actually this snack is very common in Taiwan. It is serves as appetiser in restaurant or you can even get it off their 7-eleven store. But as many as I have tried, no one have the taste of 老天禄 – Garlicky & Salty with hint of spiciness yet not overpowering, very flavourful unlike some just have flat salty taste.
Surprisingly, it is very very easy to make. In 5 mins, you can get this on your table from your kitchen. This can be serve hot or cold. Make lots and have it both way – 1st half freshly hot and the other half as snacks when you are watching tv shows or when having drinks with your friends. 很好下酒的哦
- 400g Frozen/Fresh Edamame in pod
- 2 teaspoon Salt (to be added into pot of water while boiling the edamame; optional; depend if the frozen edamame are salted or unsalted)
- 1 litre water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 4 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 chili padi, sliced (optional)
- Boil the water in a pot over medium heat
- When water boiled, add in the edamame, salt (if require) and let it boil for about 3 to 5 mins (fresh one longer as frozen ones are usually cooked; check the packaging)
- Use a slotted spoon, remove the edamame from the water and drain
- Heat a frying pan with olive oil under medium heat
- Add in Garlic & chili and stir fry for few seconds.
- Then add in drained Edamame, salt, sugar, and pepper
- Just stir fry for 1 mins and serve