Har Cheong Kai (Shrimp Paste Chicken) Burger with Sambal Oelek Mayo
Recipe type: Main
Shrimp Paste Chicken (Har Cheong Kai)
- 4 pieces Boneless Chicken Leg
Marinades for Shrimp Paste Chicken
- 3 Tablespoon Prawn Paste
- 3 Tablespoon Shaoxing Hua Diao (Chinese Cooking Wine)
- 2 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 Teaspoon Sugar
Coating of Shrimp Paste Chicken
- 1 Cup Cornflour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 4 Burger Buns
- 1 Tablespoon Melted Butter
- Butter Spread
Sambal Oelek Mayo
- 4 Tablespoon Store bought Sambal Oelek (Sambal Chili)
- 4 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
Marinating Shrimp Paste Chicken
- In a large mixing bowl, mix in all the marinades ingredient until combine
- Add the chicken and ensure the chicken are evenly coated with the marinades.
- Cover the bowl of chicken with cling wrap and put it in the chiller for at least 8 hours (the longer the better) or up to 48 hours.
- *If you want to keep it for later use, put it in the freezer after 48 hours of marination and thaw when required.
On actual day - Air Fried Chicken Leg
- Preheat the Air Fryer @200 degree Celsius
- Mix cornflour and baking powder in a tray / plate and set aside
- Coat the marinated chicken with the flour mixture and tap off any excess flour.
- Evenly brush the chicken with oil.
- Place it in the air fryer for about 15 mins or until golden brown. *Do not overcrowd the basket. Try to air fry 1 to 2 pieces at a time depending on size of the chicken leg.
- Remove from the air fryer when done and set aside for assembling of the burger
Sambal Oelek Mayo
- Mix sambal Oelek and mayo together in a small bowl
- Slice the burger buns in half and spread a thin layer of butter inside the bun.
- To have a pretty shiny bun, melt some butter over a pot or microwave and thinly brush a layer on the top of the bun
- Toast the bun for 5 mins it until desired doneness in the oven
Assembling of HJK Burger
- Add Lettuce on the base of the burger bun, follow by the air fried chicken, top the sambal oelek mayo then add the bun top